It is no big secret that eating right keeps you healthy. Hundreds of thousands of papers are published every year, describing scientific studies that have looked at some aspect of this issue and come to the same inevitable conclusion. The only people who don’t seem to have heard the good news are members of the medical profession! I’m not speaking disparagingly of individual doctors – many of my colleagues are very switched on to nutrition and diet – but it is a sad truth that the vast majority of practicing physicians and surgeons have either never heard of the benefits of good nutrition, or have disregarded it or have remained so pathetically ignorant of what is required that they neither teach nor apply the principles of a good diet to their suffering patients.
A really cynical critic would argue that maybe the doctors don’t want their patients restored to health and happiness; that they only want dollars for treating conditions that could be resolved naturally. That may be too harsh. I think the trouble is that doctors never get past Nutrition 101 in med school. Instead of becoming competent with this vital tool, they are taught only falsehoods and half-truths.
Doctors have it drummed into them that:
• Fats are bad for us, whereas certain fats are essential to survival and form part of our all-important cell membranes. Oh my God, even our brains are 40% fat, so how do we think even without clean fats? Low-fat diets I see handed out by doctors are destructive to health because some of our vitamins can only be absorbed in the presence of fats (A, E, and D). These vitamins in turn enhance the absorption of essential minerals.
• Carbohydrates are desirable and build health; in fact, they contribute virtually nothing, other than obesity and insulin problems. White flour and starch have no nutrient qualities; over 90% of B vitamins are removed and only a small fraction of that added back in “vitamin enriched” flours. Even so-called complex carbohydrates, the natural ones, are bad in excess. Consider that farmers, with an eye to profits, fatten up their livestock by feeding them large quantities of carbohydrate.
• Only trace doses of vitamins or minerals are necessary for health. The truth is these are merely the levels needed to prevent us from dying horribly of scurvy, beriberi, and the like. The so-called recommended dietary allowances (RDAs) bear no relation to the quantities needed for optimum health and do not take into account basic scientific variables, such as the fact that we are all biologically different, we need a higher intake under different conditions, notably disease and stress, or that we may not even be absorbing our nutrients properly!
• Doses of vitamins even slightly above daily allowance levels may be dangerous. This is especially ironic when doctors tend to cling to the biochemical nonsense that some re good, so more is better (drug dosages). Pet food contains doses many times above the supposed safe levels for humans: if you allow for the bodyweight of smaller mammals, the levels recommended for a healthy beast are hundreds of times greater than those for humans!
• A “balanced diet” will offer you all the essential nutrients you would like. A balance of what exactly? Junk? Most foods on the supermarket shelf are vitiated make-overs of what Nature has supplied and thus severely depleted of essential nutrients. Take zinc as an example: this vital mineral helps build our tissues and maintain immunity. But modern farming methods leave even the soil deficient in zinc. It cannot be taken up by crops and the livestock that feeds on the land; thus the whole food chain is zinc deficient in most areas. It is not possible to obtain adequate doses of this nutrient from your diet, however varied!
• Food allergy and intolerance are very rare. Officially, figures still claim that allergy affects only between 1% and seven of the population. This is misleading, and such statistics concern only extremely violent food reactions that we call “immediate hypersensitivity” and which sometimes leads to anaphylaxis and death. But the kind of food allergy you are going to read about in this book is different. It is subtler and often remains in disguise. The official position is therefore false euphoria, and until doctors are taught to diagnose the problem properly, this sort of underestimation of the problem will continue.
The list could go on and on. This does not even take into account that most physicians have never even heard of the problem of genetic variations leading to individual unique food incompatibilities. I’m sure you’ve got the point. Nonsense at this level is passed ’round and ’round and repeated so often that it has become accepted as “scientific” and therefore true.
Nor are doctors the only ones who are guilty of ignorance and disinformation. The major secrets I will reveal to you in this book are largely unknown or disregarded by other health workers too, each with their own ax to grind. There is an astonishing number of allergy “experts” out there, offering advice and treatment, who have never been through med school, and many of them, from what I read, have not even studied basic physiology.
You need to be informed to be protected. In any case, this is a field where you really can do most of the investigations yourself, with a little care and patience and by following closely the “game rules” I will explain. That’s right: I often liken this to a game of allergy and intolerance – there are rules which you need to know, otherwise, you cannot win. But they’re not complicated or mysterious rules, just little known, except to a couple of. We can dispose of many health problems, but always remember this: if you have an allergy tendency or a genetic food incompatibility, it won’t go away. You need to be foodwise all your life.
Four big secrets to healthy eating
I’m going to let you in on the two biggest secrets to healthy eating that I know. I’m doing it now, rather than tease, so that you can begin to re-align everything you know or have read, or think you know, with what follows in this With the necessity of taking into account these very revolutionary facts, which are very important.
1. Ultimate Diet Principle
Eating what you shouldn’t do far more harm than not eating what you should. This is the opposite of parental nagging, which says things like “Eat your greens,” and “You need the calcium in milk for strong bones and teeth.” Everyone has certain foods that react un-typically; which stress up their metabolism and are poorly tolerated. No matter how important the food, or “essential” it is for your well being, if you eat such toxic food you will be ill.
Similarly, if you follow the dietary recommendations of someone who has not heard of food allergy or genetic food incompatibility, you may find yourself feeling worse. Whereas some foods are commoner allergies than others, I have patients allergic or intolerant to every single so-called healthy food you could name: lettuce, bananas, fish, apples, tomatoes, whole wheat, herbal teas and all the rest of the healthy foods that are supposed to be good for you. I have yet to see a popular diet book that even acknowledges this crucial health factor, let alone make allowance for it.
That’s why this book is important: it fills a vital gap in knowledge.
The exact mechanism of incompatibility is not important to this key understanding. I am not confining my remarks to food allergies, intolerance, or any other mechanism. Nor is it necessary, for the success of this plan, that you identify why you do not tolerate the food. The important step is to identify such stressor foods and remove them from your diet. You will benefit immediately from increased well being, zest and health. Many chronic symptoms you may have become accustomed to and consider almost “normal” will disappear.
2. Ultimate Diet Principle
These toxic or incompatible foods are different for everyone. Thus there can be no one-size-fits-all diet. Diets do not really work by giving you “good” foods, but by taking you off the bad foods.
Those diets that succeed in any degree at all really do so because of Principle 1, often inadvertently and without anyone being aware of the real reason. By following a suggested eating plan, the individual must avoid certain foods and the real benefit comes from this exclusion principle. The credit for the recovery is given to the new diet craze and the correct scientific explanation, which I am giving you here in this book, remains obscure.
For example, you may have heard of the “food combining” approach to diet. A lot of elaborate theory is put forward as a justification for the ritual of separating morning, midday, and evening – your body is supposed to be unable to digest proteins and carbohydrates at the same time, some foods are acid and some are alkaline and other such fake science. These claims are simply not true. The body is geared to digest fats, carbohydrates, and proteins, sequentially, in different segments of the alimentary tract.
But what I observe is that individuals on the food combining program simply avoid or drastically reduce their intake of certain foods.
For example t, the breakfast is supposed to be fruit. This means that there are no cereals and no toast (and therefore very little or no milk). Those two simple changes are enough to make the majority of the population feel healthier, because grains, especially wheat and dairy products are the two most common incompatible foods. I estimate that over 80% of the population is intolerant to one or the other, or both. That means a great many people are going to feel better while on the food combining diet; in other words, excluding foods. We don’t need any hokey food science to explain that.
From what you’ve got just read there follow two more vital diet principles that you simply got to understand and remember:
3.Ultimate Diet Principle
All published set diets make a percentage of people worse because they are forced to eat more of their toxic foods. You can take it as a further “rule” that you just don’t get to hear of these failures! The author of the latest best-selling diet just does not know or does not care about the failures. In true medico-style it is the patient who is blamed: the unlucky individual is shrugged off as “atypical” or just plain difficult.
The vast majority of patients who do feel unwell, naturally, never bother to report to the author of the diet what has happened. They maybe blame themselves, feel worse, and just quit the diet with a sigh, hoping the next plan might be the one for them.
So for all the hype and success stories you hear, whatever the diet, just remember the luckless individuals who got worse!
- Ultimate Diet Principle There is only one diet that is right for you and you must figure it out for yourself.
You need to know which are your toxic foods and avoid those, possibly for life, though there are exceptions to this, as we shall see. How to work out this crucial knowledge is one of the most important steps you will ever make regarding your health. The major part of this book is devoted to helping you in this quest for safe, harmonious, and user-friendly eating.
The only way to find out for sure what’s happening with you is to test it yourself, using the best available test instrument we have – your own body. Diet Wise is much more than just an eating plan: I will show you the principles involved, what steps to take and how to interpret the results reliably so that you can acquire vital knowledge you’ll get to enjoy an extended and healthy life.
This is the ultimate workable plan because it is a custom-fit!
Let’s get started with some explanatory theory. In the coming chapters, I’ll tell you all you need to know to succeed, and probably even more than you need. These ideas are not theoretical but intensely practical, the techniques I used every day in my office for over three decades; and everything you will read here has been tried and tested thousands of times. It is a working system, and as such it has a great deal to commend it.